Barton Hills Village, Michigan

shim image News

November 18, 2010

BARTONHILLS VILLAGE

PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING

November 18, 2010

The meeting of the BHV Planning Commission was called to order by Chair Laura Weingartner at 7:34 PM at the Village Hall.

ROLL CALL Present: Commissioners Boddie, J. MacKrell, Weingartner and Zoldan. Absent: Commissioners McCabe, Richards and Wallace. Others present: ZPA Perry, BHV Long Range Planning Committee Chair C. MacKrell and BHMC President Bultman.

PUBLIC COMMENT None.

MINUTES The minutes of the June 16, 2010 meeting were approved as printed. (Boddie/MacKrell/P unanimously)

COMMUNICATIONS/ANNOUNCEMENTS

Finances Carlisle/Wortman invoices #210619, 210706, 210707, 210822, 210927 and 210928 were reviewed along with the billing summary. There were no concerns regarding the invoices or total expense to date. (Invoices are attached to these minutes.)

Membership Notice will be put in the Barton Bulletin regarding the open seat that will be created in January. Commissioner John McCabe expects to be moving from BHV in the next year so he wishes to step down from the position at the end of his term.

REPORTS None.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Zoning Ordinance Mr. Perry circulated a revised version of the draft material received from Carlisle/Wortman (Articles 3, 4, 6 & 7 plus related memos). Following discussion included:
Issues:
--use of plot plan/site plan and what criteria will push a project from plot plan to requirement of a full site plan; what goals should be accomplished via plot/site plan and what elements are necessary to meet those goals

--how to figure square footage

--scale of drawings/accuracy necessary

--balance of cost to resident vs. need for information

--need to have obligatory requirements rather than subjective decisions

--consideration of topography

--fees/who will do the review

--performance guarantee may be required for non-single-family-residential projects

--civil infraction/fines

--flow chart of responsibility for boards/staff—who does what

--home occupations

--need PUD process to provide flexibility (allows something that wouldn’t be permitted in zoning otherwise)—how this differs from a variance

--R-2 zoning section addresses lots less than one acre

--definitions need to be included, at least in rough form, for common understanding

--function/goals of document, i.e. more requirements encourage people to build smaller, ecologically sensitive homes because of expense to do otherwise

--what issues are best addressed in zoning and in the BHMC review process

--the general process will remain as it is currently (BHV zoning review, BHMC architectural review, AATwp soil ordinance review, permits issued)

Process from here:
--The current draft and future drafts will be circulated to the Planning Commission in Word format that allows for mark up directly in the document.

--Mr. Perry, Mrs. Esch and Mrs. MacKrell will review the Ann Arbor Township Zoning Ordinance to see if there are other topics that should be discussed for incorporation into the BHV ordinance.

--The Subcommittee (Weingartner, Zoldan, Perry, Esch, others as they wish) will meet in December if possible. Comments from all may be circulated via email. The full Planning Commission will meet/discuss again to determine specific issues that may require consultant input.

--John MacKrell will provide a projector so all can look at on-line documents at the same time during meetings.

--The Planning Commission will continue with regular meetings on the 3rd Thursday beginning with January 20, 2011 (full 2011 meeting schedule to be set at that time).

NEW BUSINESS None.

The meeting ended at 8:30 PM when Mr. Boddie left, dissolving the quorum; however informal discussion which continued until 9:07 PM is included in the above comments.

Janice K. Esch, Assistant Secretary     Approved 1/20/11

 


  

shim