Barton Hills Village, Michigan

shim image News

June 13, 2011

MINUTES OF BOARD MEETING

TRUSTEES OF BARTON HILLS VILLAGE

June 13, 2011

The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was called to order by President Boddie at 6:11 PM at the Village Hall.

ROLL CALL Present: Trustees Al-Awar, Benson, Boddie, Borel, Butterwick, Izenberg, Langford, MacKrell and Wilkes. Absent: None.
Others attending: ZPA Perry, Asst. Treasurer King, Supt. Esch, BHMC President Bultman and four residents.

PUBLIC COMMENT One resident spoke concerning the noise ordinance, stating that neighboring construction noise during the summer was detrimental to enjoyment of their outside yard/deck, especially in the evening and on Saturdays.      Mr. Borel arrived

Another resident asked that the following items be specifically considered in the Board discussion of amending the noise ordinance: landscape equipment, barking dogs and generators.

A third resident expressed concern about bicyclists traveling in groups and at high speeds on the roadways, creating a hazard for residents and especially for pedestrians. President Boddie responded that no groups currently have permission for organized bicycling activities in BHV, and that Atty. Laidlaw would be consulted to determine what options are available regarding this issue.

MINUTES Minutes of the May 9, 2011 Trustees meeting were approved as printed. (Wilkes/Langford/P)

FINANCE/FINANCE COMMITTEE The Cash Balances report was distributed. The Cash Disbursements for May 2011 were approved as printed (Aux. Book VII E). (Wilkes/Butterwick/P) The Finance Committee is evaluating options for reinvestment of expiring certificates of deposit. Two companies have been contacted concerning options for the water system alarm and other areas where telecommunications expenses might be reduced. The 2010-2011 audit will be conducted July 6-7, 2011. Annual membership in the Huron River Watershed Council will be renewed at a cost of $400. (Butterwick/Borel/P)

STANDING REPORTS

Zoning and Planning Administrator (Perry) Work continues on the revised zoning ordinance.

Planning Commission (Boddie) No report.

COMMITTEE REPORTS
Recreation
(Benson) The May 2011 Social was an enjoyable success, although attendance was down a bit from last year. Child care options will be considered for future events. The Recreation Committee will explore options for social events in 2012. The Committee is also working on plans for the Halloween hayride. Support was voiced for having the hayride on Halloween night rather than moving it to a weekend. Mrs. King will check to see if the event could be covered by BHV insurance.

Environmental (Butterwick) No outside contractors could be found to provide satisfactory home collection of recyclables and there is no BHV funding for the service. It was proposed that collection of recyclables be done in the same manner as current trash collection but on a separate day. Cost would be about $420 per year per household based on participation of at least 100 households and hiring of another employee to cover the workload. Mrs. Benson and Mrs. MacKrell will revise the proposed resident survey and find out if Recycle Ann Arbor will accept the materials. Discussion will continue at the next meeting.

Security (Butterwick) BHV is not completely covered by emergency warning sirens provided by Washtenaw County and Ann Arbor City. It may be possible to obtain a grant through the Homeland Security/Washtenaw County Emergency Preparedness offices to install another siren. A motion made by Mr. Wilkes/seconded by Mr. Izenberg to provide a warning system clearly audible to all residents of Barton Hills Village was tabled by their agreement to the next meeting when more specific information is available.

Long Range Planning (MacKrell) No report.

Personnel (Langford) No report.

Water (Wilkes) No report.

Zoning/ZO Revision (Perry) No report.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS None.

NEW BUSINESS Amendment of Ordinance No. 5 (noise) was discussed. Since there was no clear consensus, Mr. Boddie will work with Atty. Laidlaw on the specific language of the amendment. Mr. Boddie will also consult with Atty. Laidlaw concerning codification of all BHV ordinances.

A letter was received from BHMC regarding payment of attorney fees relative to the road/land transfer issues. Mr. Boddie and Mr. Borel will investigate and provide a recommendation at the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:47 PM. (Wilkes/MacKrell/P)

Janice K. Esch, Deputy Clerk     Approved 7/11/11

 

 

 

 

 


  

shim