Barton Hills Village, Michigan

shim image News

July 14, 2008

MINUTES OF BOARD MEETING

TRUSTEES OF BARTON HILLS VILLAGE

July 14, 2008

The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees was called to order by President Laporte at 6:06 PM at the Village Hall.

ROLL CALL Present: Trustees Al-Awar, Bogat, Butterwick, Langford, Laporte, Lindstrom, MacKrell and Wilkes. Absent: Trustee Boddie.

Others attending: ZPA Perry, Asst. Treasurer Redies, Supt. Esch and BHMC President Bultman.

PUBLIC COMMENT None.

MINUTES Motion Mr. Lindstrom moved that the minutes of the June 9, 2008 Trustees meeting be approved as printed. Mr. Wilkes seconded; the motion carried.

FINANCE Mrs. Redies distributed the Cash Balances Comparison Report. She noted that she is using a new, more comprehensive software program for BHV.

Due to Mr. Boddie’s absence, further discussion of the budget and other financial matters was deferred to the August 11, 2008 Trustees meeting.

ZONING AND PLANNING ADMINISTRATOR Mr. Perry reported no zoning activity in June, other than a soil erosion compliance matter that was quickly remedied.

PLANNING COMMISSION Mr. Perry reported in Mr. Boddie’s absence that the Planning Commission intends to stay within their $10,000 budget and to that end has begun the work of drafting the Master Plan using the resources initially provided by their Carlisle/Wortman consultant. Once the draft has been sufficiently developed by the Commission and reviewed by the consultant, it will be made available for public comment via the BHV website and announcement in the Barton Bulletin of where paper copies can be obtained. When the Commission determines the Master Plan is ready, they will follow the procedure prescribed by law for gathering necessary comments and approvals, including a public hearing. Mrs. MacKrell, who attends the Planning Commission meetings as Long Range Planning Committee Chair, brought up the question of wetland designations. It was agreed to investigate this matter for further discussion.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Roads/Vehicles Mr. Al-Awar reported that although he and Mr. Esch did obtain a second bid, it was considerably higher (about $8,000) and they went ahead with the first bidder for paving as authorized at the June 9, 2008 Trustees meeting. The cost of asphalt is rising quickly and the provider wanted to lock in the price as soon as possible. Paving will begin next week on Underdown Roadand portions of Barton Shore Drive and Oakdale Road.

Village Administration Center In addition to his written report, Mr. Lindstrom stated that a meeting was held with the contractor, who is pleased with the progress to date on the project. Dirt was filled in around the basement and framing is expected to begin next week. The soil erosion permit difficulty mentioned by ZPA Perry involved the VAC and was promptly taken care of. The billing procedure was discussed; the first bill has been received, double-checked and will be signed for payment by President Laporte. Mr. Lindstrom, Ms. Laporte and Mrs. MacKrell reported on the BHMC review involving the following:

--The decision not to install lights in the parking area was approved.

--The change in the sidewalk width from 8’ to 5’ was approved.

--More information is being sought concerning sidewalk lighting fixtures that will be attractive, durable, low voltage and not contribute to light pollution. Concern was expressed that commercial grade fixtures would require installation by an electrician at considerable extra expense. BHMC tabled review to their next meeting.

--A drawing is requested indicating the size and placement of the screening lattice around the gas pumps. This will be provided, along with pictures and/or samples of the type of lattice to be used, for the next BHMC meeting.

--BHV requested delay of approval of the landscaping plan until more of the building is constructed in order to visualize how much planting should be done in the areas indicated on the Margolis drawing. Several large boulders were unearthed during excavation of the basement that could also be used in the landscaping design. BHMC review was tabled.

--A very large boulder discovered during excavation is proposed to be the base for signage. Details of the signs (number, placement, appearance) will be presented to BHMC at their next meeting.

--It was agreed that screening of the Ward house is a separate project from the VAC and will be funded separately. BHMC requested a drawing indicating the area to be planted. The Ward family will be consulted regarding the type of plants to be used. This item will be included in the BHV budget discussion at the August 11, 2008 meeting.

It was agreed that BHMC has been supportive in allowing construction of the building to begin before these items have been approved, and BHV is anxious to provide the necessary information as quickly as possible. Nothing will be installed without the proper approvals

Water There were no comments on Mr. Wilkes’ written report.

BHMC Liaison No report.

Environmental No report.

Finance No report.

Long RangePlanning No report.

Maintenance Area/Buildings No report.

Ordinance Revision No report.

Personnel No report.

Recreation No report.

Security No report.

Zoning/ZO Revision No report.  

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Speed Tables It was verified that the request for an additional speed table on Underdown Road had been voted on and defeated at the June 2007 meeting.

DTE Ms. Laporte will send a letter to DTE Energy, thanking them for their response to BHV concerns about the power situation. As indicated in the extensive DTE presentation, considerable work has been done on the lines and new means of communication are enabling the staff to report problems much more quickly. The Trustees appreciate the weather-related difficulties DTE continues to face and look forward to completion of the pole/line work in the near future.

Fireworks Ms. Bogat reported debris in her yard from illegal/unauthorized fireworks over the last several weeks. She suggested that notice be sent to residents in June next year, with increased vigilance to curtail this dangerous activity when possible.

Deer Management The Environmental Committee will investigate the deer management program and report back to the Trustees before the fall.

Emergency Sirens Mr. Esch will continue his efforts to get a provider to evaluate the siren system to determine if there is need for repair or replacement.

Village Attorney Ms. Laporte, Mr. Boddie and Mr. Perry have made contacts but have no recommendations yet.

NEW BUSINESS

FEMA Mr. Perry explained that the Federal Emergency Management Agency is reevaluating the potential for flooding in the area, and has determined that the situation in BHV has not changed from previous reviews. The 100-year flood level for the Village is 799 feet, which is below the 803 boundary contour of Barton Pond. While there is little threat of flooding, participation in the FEMA program is necessary in order for residents to purchase flood insurance through FEMA. There is a six-month opportunity to join the program and receive federal assistance if a Presidentially-declared disaster occurs as a result of flooding; participation would require adoption and enforcement of a BHV flood ordinance such as surrounding jurisdictions currently have. Since flood insurance is relatively expensive and there has not been any incident of flooding known to have occurred in Barton Hills in the past, it was decided that participation was not necessary or desired. The issue could be reconsidered if residents request it.

Mrs. MacKrell moved the meeting be adjourned at 7:27 PM. Mr. Butterwick seconded; the motion carried.

Janice K. Esch, Deputy Clerk

 

 


  

shim